7-year-old Record Keeping Recommendation

FHE Updated Record Keeping Recommendations for 7-year-olds

Effective July 1, 2022


When to Begin Keeping Records for a 7-year-old


As the political and school climates, in general, have changed recently and more parents are choosing to homeschool their children, FHE recently reviewed our 7-year-old record keeping recommendations and believe it is prudent to make a change to our recommendations.


There is a difference between a school year (set by law for July 1 – June 30) and school term (the time you set for doing school).  FHE has always recommended keeping them the same so that you have the full calendar year to log your 1000 hours.  The school term is not defined in the homeschool law, but is defined in the public-school statutes. The only sure thing is that offering 1000 hours between July 1 and June 30 does comply with the statute, provided the family designates that as their "school term."  See page 29, School Term vs School Year, in our First Things First book for a complete explanation of the difference between school year and school term.


  1. First, if the school term has not already been established for your home school, set your school term.  
  2. Now that you have established your school term, FHE recommends you begin keeping records at least when your child turns 7 years old, even if it is in the middle of your school term.
  3. If you begin in the middle of your school term, you will need to prorate your hours to the number of days left until the end of your school term.
    Prorate your hours for a 12-month school term by multiplying 2.74 (1000 divided by 365) hours by the number of days from the time your child turns 7 to the end of your school term. That is your total.

Remember-when you begin keeping records for your child, whether they are 7 or younger, you need to be sure and keep all records (daily plan book or diary, record of evaluations, portfolio of a sample of their work) and the required number of hours.  The law does not allow for “practicing” your record keeping.

Don’t stress, you are probably already teaching your child, just not necessarily as formally as you will when you begin your record keeping.

FHE does not give legal advice. If you need legal advice for your specific situation, we recommend you contact an attorney.