News Alerts

Need Some Answers??
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 by FHE

Many public school families around the state are wondering what to do now that their public schools are closed for the foreseeable future. Hopefully this will help you decide if you are just needing resources to help get you through this pandemic or if you truly want to homeschool.

Bear in mind, even though your child it at home, your child is still enrolled in the public school and you have the responsibility to obey the requirements of the public school. Be sure to check the notifications from your school, including your “junk/spam” box. The public school closures were on short notice and many schools are working on plans to help their students.

Questions to be asked:

  1. Are you wanting resources to just finish out this school year and then you child will be back at the public school as soon as it opens?

    If you are just wanting resources and plan to go back to the public school, you would not actually be homeschooling from a legal standpoint, just at home for now. If the public school has sent work home, then that is what you will need to do. If you have nothing and you want to continue with something to keep your child engaged in learning, there are a lot of options.

For Resources Click Here!

If you decide to enroll in the Missouri virtual school, MOCAP, your child will be a Missouri public school student. If you want the local public school to consider paying for your child’s enrollment in the virtual public school, then you should NOT withdraw your child to homeschool. You will need to contact your public school to make those arrangements. Even though your child will be doing their schooling at home, they will be a public school student and you must abide by their rules and regulations.

  1. “Do I want to homeschool my child?” If you are really wanting to begin homeschooling and will be continuing next school year, then here is what FHE would suggest. Do nothing for now other than whatever your public school has suggested or what you want to do. You are still under the public school legally, so you would not have to make up any hours or keep any homeschool records. Just go with the flow for now.

    THEN, over the summer before the next school year starts, you will want to send your local public school  a withdrawal letter. Here is a sample withdrawal letter  you can use. Send it to the superintendent or principal by certified mail with a return receipt requested card. The post office will have the school sign the card and then return it to you for your records. The public school may ask you to sign their form. This may be a “declaration of intent to home school”. Since this is an optional form not required by law, FHE suggests you NOT sign it. A one-time withdrawal letter is all that should be necessary.  

    Also, here is a copy of the “homeschooling law”. If homeschooling is the route you plan to take, let FHE know and we can help you with understanding what is needed to actually homeschool.

If you need help or more information contact FHE.

877-696-6343 (message line)
[email protected]
Facebook page: Families for Home Education

Families for Home Education also publishes an excellent guide for the Missouri home educator, First Things First: A Guide for the Missouri Home Educator. There is homeschool information on this website. If you have questions, contact FHE. Click here to join FHE. , or order Click her to order First Things First.



Previous Posts