Mark Your Calendars
Tuesday, March 7, 2023
What a great day we had at our 2022 Homeschool Day. Thank you to everyone who attended and/or spoke to our families. We estimated around 450 homeschoolers gathered around the Rotunda and on the 2nd floor Balcony area.
Stay tuned for special plans next year, 2023, as Families for Home Education celebrates our 40th Birthday.
We know many come from a distance and appreciate the.sacrifice to give of your day to come!! Plan a visit to your legislators and introduce yourselves.
Call their office at least 2 weeks prior if possible to let them know you will be stopping by.
Arrive early in order to find parking (see below for parking details) and to get through security.
The only entrance is at the Carriage entrance on the south side of the building. It must be accessed at the west end of the entrance.
Click here for details and maps.
Hope to see you at the Capitol! We must be ever vigilant to protect our homeschool freedoms!
Join us NEXT year on March 7, 2023 for our Homeschool Day.
*Our FHE Lobbyist will give us an update of what has been happening in Jefferson City so far in the 2022 Legislative Session.
*Our homeschool friendly legislators love to stop by to say hello and offer words of encouragement to our families. We appreciate their willingness to share with us for a few moments in their very busy schedule.
*Meet our FHE volunteer directors who are all committed to helping you navigate homeschooling in Missouri. We are so excited to see old friends and meet new ones!
*Enjoy some amazing music by our homeschool students!
*Q & A Panel Discussion with our directors. Let’s talk about homeschooling!
Make Plans Now to Attend and Support Missouri Homeschooling!
See you there!
"How to Maximize Your Day at the Capitol"
- Contact your Senator and/or Representative ahead of time to let them know you will be at the Capitol to attend the FHE Homeschool Day and that you would like to stop by his/her office for a short visit.
(If you would like to bring cookies to your senator and representive, the legislators and staff appreciate the thoughtfulness!)
Legislator Look Up
** Note any appointments should be made so they will be completed before 12:00pm or will begin after 2:00pm to allow your family time to come and go from the Rotunda.
- Visit the Missouri State Museum located on the first floor of the Capitol on either side of the Rotunda.
- Consider Field Trip Extras There are many other sites to visit in Jefferson City. However, check ahead of time for availability since some tours and building access may currently be suspended. Here are a few:
- The Supreme Court Building is located on High street across from the Capitol. Tours are available, but reservations are recommended and can be made by contacting Supreme Court of Missouri at 573-751-4144
- Missouri State Highway Patrol Safety Education Center and Museum is located at 1510 East Elm. Reservations are recommended and are required for groups of more than 10. Call 573 526-6149 to make reservations.
Reminders and Tips
- Know your Missouri State Senator and/or Representative and their office number. Legislator Look Up
- Visit the FHE table for a “calling card” to leave with your Senator and/or Representative in the event you are unable to visit with them personally. Talking points will also be available. You are always welcome to bring thank you cards to your legislators.
- Just a Reminder – Please be courteous! As you visit and move around in the Capitol, remember, this is a place of business. Also, the Senator’s and Reprensentatives’s offices are small. Please leave strollers out in the hall.
- If you would like a copy of the Missouri Constitution or the 2021 General Assembly Roster visit the Secretary of State’s Office, State Capitol Room 208.
Municipal Parking Garage at 200 Madison (southeast corner Madison & Capitol Ave.) Daily Parking Rate: $0.50/hr for first 2 hours, $1.00/hr thereafter, $6.00 max per day. Parking Information Link
Metered Parking $0.25 – $0.50 per hour
Note: Be sure not to let your parking meter run out. They do give parking tickets!
Downtown Jefferson City Map
- Additional Reminders:
Be sure to allow plenty of time to get parked and walk to the building. You will also be required to go through security which takes additional time.
Parking is a little limited and you may need to allow more time for walking to get to the Capitol. Be careful about the time limits on metered parking; they do give tickets.
Enter the Capitol building on the south side of the building. This entrance is the carriage entrance and you must enter at the west side of the carriage entrance.
See You There!